Monday, July 6, 2009

Captain's Log:Stardate 6.7.09

I've officially been in Prague for 6 months and I still don't know what to make of this wondrous multi-headed beast.

What I do know is that beer is best when it's mixed (or řezané).

I know the importance and surprising depth of fleeting friendships.

I know how to say "cheers" in a few more languages.

I know that you actually can get used to walking around in a city full of fairy-tale architecture. But it's not just a simple matter of familiarizing yourself and "getting over it." Something really great happens in your subconscious when you can walk casually past things like this and this without looking up, instead just feeling the details and history of the atmosphere in your bones. It injects a dose of romanticism into your heart. It puts a spring in your step. It gives you back a little bit of your childhood.

But perhaps most relevant of all, I know that despite missing some really amazing people (and food), I won't be coming home any time soon. (even accounting for the shifting nature of the word "home" itself)

Love y'all
_k

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to here you won't be home for awhile, but glad to know things are going well.

And beer mixed with what? Other beer?

I'll hopefully be crossing the pond again sometime next year to visit my sis while she studies in Spain, so I'll try to make it over and visit you as well then!

Slainte,
Andrew

Kyle said...

Hey Andrew!
Yeah, it's a light beer mixed with a dark beer. I think black and tan's in America are something similar, but it really works perfectly with Czech beers.
And yes, please do come out and visit next time you're on this side. If not, maybe I'll be up for a trip to Spain by then!
And thanks for the cheers!